So, Carter quit Target about a month ago. I know, big shocker, and most of you didn't know. Sorry, but you can believe me that it has been quite crazy around here and I just didn't feel like posting/talking about it. Here's the story:
We started looking for new employment for Carter in the beginning of February. We knew that things weren't going to work out with Target and I immediately jumped full force into looking for a job for him. That's right, me. Since Carter was still working full time and going to school full time there would have been absolutely no chance for him to look. I created accounts on many job sites and checked them ALL day long. The children did not receive much attention during these times. I had a one track mind; MUST FIND A JOB. I don't even know how many applications I filled out for him online; hundreds. I lost track of places I'd applied him too. They would call and he would look at me and mouth the place, like "Did you apply here?". I really should have written down when and where I applied but I did it all so fast and moved onto the next that I wasn't thinking about it. One of the jobs that really appealed to Carter was a merchandiser or sales rep for a large company. He also really enjoyed working in the warehouse at Target and Borders so those three jobs were ones we were highly pursuing.
He got a call pretty quickly from Dreyer's Ice Cream/Nestle. Ice Cream, sweet. That position was for a Route Sales Driver. We didn't know much about it and going into the interview he felt pretty ignorant to the job. The route location was north of Salt Lake as well and it would have been a icky commute. He didn't receive an offer for that job. But we continued to look and look. He actually got quite a few calls which was nice. We knew how bad the market was and that lots of people had been out of jobs for a long time, but we knew our situation and we knew we had to find something. Anything.
We came across a merchandising company called Acosta. He got an interview and the lady basically handed him the job if he wanted it. He said she really didn't interview him at all; she knew his credentials and experience and knew he was overqualified for the position. Well, cool. So, we had an offer from them and took some time to decide. In the meantime, he called back Dreyer's about a merchandising position that kept being posted on their website. They said they really needed someone down in Utah County. So he got an interview with them. After that one he also interviewed for the same position at Sara Lee. He really felt like both places would offer him the positions but it was just a waiting game. Tested our patience for sure. So, we had the offer from Acosta. Then Dreyer's made an offer. Sara Lee was taking forever, so we just had to make a decision.
Carter accepted employment with both Dreyer's and Acosta. Both are part time positions for now, but both have great opportunities from what it sounds like. He took a bit of a pay cut so that's why he's doing both of them. He hoped to start right away, but once again we had a waiting game. He did everything on his part right away, but the background checks and drug tests can take awhile. Then we found out that he wouldn't start Acosta until the 24th (today). Urg. The guy who hired him at Dreyer's had a death in the family and was out of town, but didn't call, so we sat waiting to hear what was going on. Stressful. So, Carter basically got a 2 1/2 week vacation. haha. In the meantime, Sara Lee did call and offer him the position there as well. They were paying less anyway so it didn't really matter. Although, they are a great company and we will continue to check them out for route driver positions.
He started Dreyer's this past Thursday. We're hoping he can get as many hours as possible with them, because with Acosta most of the tasks can be done at his discretion as long as they're done by the due date. Hopefully he gets to start that one soon because I know he's excited to see what they're about too. A few days ago he got a letter in the mail from Kellogg's offering him a job as well, but the pay was so ridiculously low, I'm not sure who would consider it. Well, I guess it was better than Winco, but still.
One of our strategies, or my strategies, haha, was to apply with the big boys. Get an in with a big company, even if the pay might be a little lower and then once something opens up, go for it. That strategy worked pretty well if I do say so myself. He got interviews with Winco (huge large warehouse grocery store that is growing all over Utah), Frito Lay, Kelloggs (although it was just a phone interview), Dreyer's, Sara Lee and Taco Bell (I think their were others but I can't remember). He wasn't pleased with the last one. Hey, they actually pay pretty well, and I was just trying to find anything. I think he sighed a breathe of relief when he didn't get that one.
He also got in contact with someone from High School who does insurance, life insurance, debt management, investments, etc., so he's going to also do that on the side for extra money. So, he's going to be working a lot! But the best part of all is, no late nights and no Sundays! Carter has worked consistent Sundays for 10 years so this is wonderful for him and our family. We'll definitely be looking to get another car soon for him. A beater probably. haha. Another great thing about these merchandising jobs is that they pay mileage, so I'm pretty sure we're going to come out on top with the gas bill. Sweet. The only thing is you do put the wear and tear on the car, so that's why we hope we can get another one.
Carter managed to finish out last semester with pretty good grades too! After discussing it, we decided he'd take the summer off and we'll see how everything is for fall. I was feeling bogged down with his schooling already and needed a break. So, with 4 jobs between the two of us and one car, it's probably best that he didn't go to school this summer. Besides, one of the main reasons he went back to school was for Target. To get promoted he had to have a Bachelors degree, but once that was down the drain we really didn't have to stick to going every semester until he finished. We do want him to get his degree though, so that's still the goal, it just might take a little longer. I don't know, all that stuff seems like forever to me anyway.
So, that's what has been going on in our house for the past few months. Pretty stressful, but we made it through. We feel incredibly blessed to have found employment so fast. Now we just hope that Carter can really succeed and enjoy his work. Wish us luck!
Monday, May 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
We wish you guys all the best! I know Carter will do a fabulous job at both companies.
Love and miss you all!
Annie :)
Wowser, interesting stuff you posted.
Sounds like you make the perfect manager.
Post a Comment