Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A first

Wow, it's already February. Before we know it I will be 25!!!! AHHH. Well, Savannah is sick with a stomach virus. Poor thing is miserable and so lethargic. On Sunday morning (1:30 am) I went in to check on Savannah and once I opened her door, I was enveloped with this disgusting smell. I thought it would be weird if she'd pooped in her sleep so I wasn't sure what it was. Savannah seemed fine, but something told me to feel around on her bed, so I did. I felt something. I couldn't see anything though. Well, it was throw up. She has never thrown up and we didn't hear her. So, I didn't know what to do. Wake up my sound sleeping baby and bathe and change her sheets or just let her sleep. So I went in and woke Carter and asked him what I should do. He said that we should wake her and bathe her. So we, yes "WE" walked back in there and woke her. Carter was very sweet to help me for almost the next hour because their would have been no way for me to do it on my own without waking him anyway. So, her room smelled SOOOO bad and so did she. Carter can't stand the thought of vomit so I know that he was trying not to vomit himself. Thank goodness he didn't. So I undressed her (and she had pooped, weird) and bathed her and Carter stripped her sheets and wiped down her mattress with anti-bacterial wipes and aired out her room. So some of the vomit got in Savannah's hair (because she had spread it all over the bed) and I thought I'd be good just rinsing it out of her hair. So I get her out of the bath and take her into her room to put clothes on and smell something. Yeah, rinsing wasn't enough. So I take her back into the tub and wash her hair. By the time she was dressed and ready to go back to bed her room smelled like disinfectant from all the stuff Carter used. Anyway, we thought maybe she just ate something that didn't agree with her and that she'd be fine, but all Sunday she had really gross doo doo and then started to get a little warm and have this redness to her forehead. Not a rash, almost like a tan or sunburn a little. It was weird. Monday she woke up and was so lethargic it was scaring me. She drank some milk at breakfast but wouldn't eat anything. She took like 5 naps throughout the day and was a human blanket on me all day. I called the doctor and they said she probably has a stomach virus and to: not give her any dairy, solid foods or juice. So what she can have is very limited: (and she dosen't even want much of that), water, applesauce, bananas, starches and carbs and laqtaid milk (?). We haven't given her any of that yet, we're trying to see if it will just pass. She definitely isn't eating or drinking much though and I don't want her getting dehydrated so we've got to figure something out. We hope she feels better soon. On another note, I'm over the snow. It needs to stop and be warm again.

3 comments:

Joneel said...

Oh NO !!! You are experiencing one of the worst parts of having a
small child. WHEN THEY GET THE STOMACH FLU VIRUS !!! I feel your pain Rashel. The advice I was always given, is give them a teaspoon of liquid and wait 10 minutes before you give them another teaspoon. That way you don't overload their system, but they are getting some liquid in their system. Good luck

Larsen Family said...

i'm sorry. no fun. i know how it is to have a kid throw up in bed. i walked in on makenna one morning and encountered that same smell. also...she has such long hair it took a week to get the smell out. i washed it about a millioin times! poor savannah. i hope she feels better. almost everyone i know here in OK is sick too!

Andy and Melissa said...

Oh - Rashel. I am getting all teary reading this post because Stella has been sick with a cold - the doc today said it was RSV, but not anything to really worry about unless her fever spikes, and I feel so bad for her. I can't imagine what I would do if she was throwing up. I feel for you - because I hate being nauseas and I can't imagine what it would be like for little savannah. Sickness in kids is sooo sad. Poor little babies.